This is a fresh tropical twist on one of my favourite crafty projects: yarn wreaths. Yes, I know, I am constantly drawn to surf themed decor. Maybe that is me escaping cold Canadian winters in my mind and my home!
These shell and felt tropical flowers give the wreath a youthful feel fit for a teen’s room. You will need a wreath form, yarn, felt, shell beads, fishing line, thread, a needle and hot glue. Start by wrapping your wreath form in yarn; this is an excellent evening activity after your kids are in bed, the T.V. is on and your brain is off!
Now you can make your flowers. This is pretty simple but a bit fiddly. First, cut your petals. There really is no right or wrong way, I even skipped the paper stencil and used the first one I cut as a stencil. Then you will string your petals together by threading them at two points on each petal.
Once your petals are sewn together, thread your fishing line onto your needle and pierce through one side of the centre of the flower. You will then thread your fishing line through the shell bead without a needle. Then sew the fishing line to the other side of the centre of the flower.
After you have finished creating your flowers you will hot glue them onto your wreath. There you have it, a pretty wreath perfect for your home or a great gift idea!
Cheat tip: I am by no means a seamstress so I may or may not have used a little hot glue when sewing my petals together… same outcome! This is our little secret!
Congratulations to Fergie and Josh Duhamel who are expecting their first child… a baby boy who is due any day now! I have always admired Fergie’s style and thought it would be fun to create a nursery design concept that reflects both parent’s personalities and taste. Fergie’s talent has always extended beyond her powerful singing voice into the fashion world as a trendsetter and style icon. Fergie has an incredible way of putting together an outfit full of colour and pattern while adding her own glamorous and edgy flair. Her love for 1920’s Art Deco fashion and design is apparent in this nursery from the patterns on the crib bedding and window treatments to the art prints and frames chosen. Pieces from shops Fergie and Josh have been spotted in shopping for baby have been included such as Cisco Home. Pops of colour charge the room and whimsical accessories such as the dachshund bookends (Fergie and Josh’s first little one is their dachshund) add a little humour. This nursery is vibrant, edgy and fun… enjoy!
1. Fawn & Forest, Frazier &Wing Elliott Mobile
2. Nursery Works, District Crib
3. Posh Tots, Hyde Park Cheveron Baby Bedding
4. Jonathan Adler, Moroccan Pouf
5. Posh Tots, Cool Blue Mobi Rug
6. Jonathan Adler, Concentric Circle Pillow
7. Monte Modern Nursery Furniture, Joya Rocker
8. Art Deco, Great Gatsby book cover design inspired window treatments
9. Posh Tots, Hyde Park Aztec Orange Curtain Panel
10. Cisco Home, Clove Day Bed
11. Jonathan Adler, Scales Knit Throw (not shown in rendering)
12. Jonathan Adler, Dachshund Bookends
13. Ducduc, Savannah 4 Drawer Dresser
14. Art Deco inspired gold frames
15. Cisco Home, Sun Mirror
16. Society 6, Art Deco Owl
17. Etsy, Milk and Thistle, Hexagon Pattern Art Deco Print Geometric
18. Etsy, Studio Doodle, Aim For the Stars
19. Etsy, ArtistStudioComAu, Deco Skull
From womb to teen and every room in between, Nesting Story.ca is a hub full of design ideas and decor shopping trends! Nesting Story’s services include design, custom art and hand painted murals. Contact Nesting Story today for more information about these services!